Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Life and Times...

I thought I'd update at least briefly to give an overview of what I've been doing lately, for those that read this blog and are curious.

I went to TN and GA with my family (or most of it), as most of you are aware. It was mostly just stressful, but I spent some much-needed time with God and He showed me a few things I'd been shutting out... I also got to see two awesome friends, which was one of the highlights of the year thus far. The entire trip was worth it for the two and a half hours my sister and I spent with them.

We got home at about 9:40 on the night of the 19th, and the next morning I had to be at my first summer class session by 8:00 a.m. It was difficult, but I got there on time, and found the classroom, cup of coffee in hand. I'm taking British Literature I over the next month, from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. every weekday morning. It's a good class; the work is easy and enjoyable for me, I have a great professor, and I actually know one guy in the class quite well, so despite the early time I can't complain too much. Every morning I wake up and think "I so want to just drop this class..." but by the time I'm actually in class I'm glad I'm making the extra effort.

After class each morning I have two hours free to eat lunch and do whatever else I feel like doing - this typically involves playing piano and graphic design. I've played piano more this past year than ever before, and I think it's paying off to some degree... pieces I never learned because they were too hard I can now sight read with a fair level of competency. There are a few I'm still too lazy or just scared to learn, but hopefully I'll continue to work on that over the summer...

I work at the school's library every week day from noon to 6:00 p.m. (that's where I am as I type this). It's very slow during the summer. We are lucky to get more than 10 people in our door in any given hour; typically it's closer to 7. At first I was wondering what in the world I would do with all the time when I'm just watching the desk (my boss often gives me projects to do, but not always), but then it occurred to me that I could write. My boss encourages us to find useful ways to employ our time watching the desk, and actually told me to always have homework with me when I come in. However, homework for my Lit. class only takes about an hour. So I've been writing again... short stories and poems at this point. I hadn't done much writing in ages. I've been doing some reading as well, which I also hadn't done for pleasure in a long while. I love the atmosphere in the library... how quiet and peaceful it is.

Evenings are partially devoted to keeping up with internet sites and my usual obsessions (TWLOHA, Skillet, the music world in general) as well as to video editing and graphic design.

The next two months will be very much the same. After I finish Brit. Lit., I start a Tolkien class, which will also be in the morning. My days will be even more structured and routine in a way then they were during the semester, but at least I'll be able to fit in things like writing and design, which I have fallen behind on dramatically during the past six months. I will have no time to hang out with friends, but that is usual for me - the only way to spend time with me is typically to walk with me from one place to another. Most of my close friends are scattered all over America right now anyway.

I am living in the future, in a way. My mind is almost totally focused on two months from now. I will be going to California for two weeks to spend time with my uncle and his family, and then I will be going to Colorado for Clean Place's annual "moot." I am looking forward to both immensely. Until then I have a lot of things I want to work out in my head...

So there you have it. Now you know what I've been doing as of late, and what I will be doing until July 18th. I hope to have a bit more time to catch up with people online before long...

- Elraen -

1 comment:

Manwariel said...

At least things are scheduled and busy instead of chaotic and busy :) I hope you have a good summer.